HomeMagazineListingsUpdateLinksContexts

 Ballet.co Postings Pages

 Some Special Threads:
  UKWhatsOnWhere tell us what's on near you
  BolshoiTalk talk about the Bolshoi
  KirovTalk talk about the Kirov
  GPDTalk about George Piper Dances
  NBTTalk about Northern Ballet Theatre
  SBTalk about Scottish Ballet
  ENBTalk about English National Ballet
  BRBTalk about Birmingham Royal Ballet
  TodaysLinks - worldwide daily dance links
  Ballet.co GetTogethers - meetings and drinks...
  Seach Ballet.co - experimental search

Subject: "The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003" Archived thread - Read only

Printer-friendly copy     Email this topic to a friend
Conferences News, Company and venue information Topic #1730
Reading Topic #1730
Brendan McCarthymoderator

11-03-03, 09:44 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Brendan%20McCarthy Click to send private message to Brendan%20McCarthy Click to add this user to your buddy list
"The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003"

   LAST EDITED ON 11-03-03 AT 10:09 AM (GMT)

Details have been confirmed of the Kirov's visit to the Royal Opera House this summer. The highlights will include Le Corsaire, La Bayadere, Swan Lake, Nijinsky's The Rite of Spring in Millicent Hodson and Kenneth Archer's reconstruction of it, and a version of Bronislava Nijinska's Les Noces. Here is the press announcement.

VICTOR HOCHHAUSER PRESENTS THE KIROV BALLET

Royal Opera House. Covent Garden: 21 July - 9 August 2003

With five programmes, including a new production of La Bavadere; Les Noces. performed with the world-famous Mariinsky Choir; Nijinsky's The Rite of Spring reconstructed and Harald Lander's Etudes. With the Orchestra and Choir of the Mariinsky Theatre

The Kirov Ballet returns to the Royal Opera House this summer for a three-week season presented by Victor Hochhauser. With its matchless style and grace, and its supremely disciplined corps de ballet, The Kirov Ballet has long been recognised as one of the wonders of classical ballet and its London seasons are a major highlight of the dance calendar.

The season runs from 21 July - 9 August and opens with Le Corsaire, one of the Company's most scintillating ballets, which played to completely sold-out houses when it was performed in London two years ago. This 19th century tale of pirates, abductions and high-spirits, showcases the Russian style and presents one of the most famous pas de trois in the classical repertory.

Not to be missed will be the first performances in this country of a spectacular recreation of the original Mariinsky Theatre production (1900) of Petipa's La Bayadere with a restored fourth act based on research by Sergei Vikharev, who was also responsible for the Kirov's magnificent production of The Sleeping Beauty.

The other highlights of the season will be performances of two masterpieces from the Diaghilev era - a reconstruction of Nijinsky's The Rite of Spring and Bronislava Nijinska's Les Noces. Both ballets are set to works of genius by Stravinsky, performed here by the full forces of the Mariinsky Orchestra, augmented for Les Noces by the magnificent Mariinsky Choir and soloists of the Mariinsky Opera.

The Kirov Ballet is excited to present their first performances abroad of Harald Lander's Etudes, after performing it for the first time in St. Petersburg in April. Of course, no Kirov season would be complete without its peerless production of Swan Lake with its glorious corps de ballet.

Les Noces appears in a mixed programme, Homage to Diaghilev, where its raw power is juxtaposed alongside Fokine's Chopiniana and the overwhelmingly popular Scheherazade.

The second mixed programme, entitled Contrasts, brings together three 20th century choreographers of genius, Balanchine, Nijinsky and Harald Lander in performances of Serenade, The Rite of Spring and Etudes.

This year's dancers include :

Tatiana Amosova, Janna Ayupova, Maya Dumchenko, Sofia Gumerova, Yulia Makhalina, Irma Nioradze, Daria Pavlenko, Natalia Sologub, Elvira Tarasova, Diana Vishneva, Svetlana Zakharova and Irina Zhelonkina.

Viktor Baranov, Andrian Fadeyev, Igor Kolb, Anton Korsakov, Daniil Korsuntsev, Alexander Kurkov, Faroukh Ruzimatov, Leonid Sarafanov, Andrei Yakovlev and Igor Zelensky.

The Kirov Ballet's productions of The Rite of Spring and Etudes are sponsored by The Mariinsky Trust (UK).

Public booking opens on Monday. May 19. 2003.
Ticket prices: 8.50-80
Box Office: 020 7304 4000
Online booking: www.royaloperahouse.org

The Kirov Ballet at the Royal Opera House - 21 July-9 August 2003

  • Monday 21st July 7.30pm Le Corsaire
  • Tue 22nd July 7.30pm Le Corsaire
  • Wed 23rd July 2.30pmLe Corsaire
  • Wed 23rd July 7.30pmLe Corsaire
  • Thursday 24th July 7.30pm Swan Lake
  • Friday 25th July 7.30pm Swan Lake
  • Saturday 26th July 2.30pmSwan Lake
  • Saturday 26th July 7.30pmSwan Lake

  • Monday 28th July 7.30pm Chopiniana, Les Noces, Scheherazade
  • Tuesday 29th July 7.30pmChopiniana, Les Noces, Scheherazade
  • Wed 30th July 2.30pm Chopiniana, Les Noces, Scheherazade
  • Wed 30th July 7.30pm Chopiniana, Les Noces, Scheherazade
  • Thursday 31st July 7.00pm La Bayadere
  • Friday 1st August 7.00pm La Bayadere
  • Saturday 2nd August 1.30pm La Bayadere
  • Saturday 2nd August 7.00pm La Bayadere

  • Monday 4th August 7.30pm Serenade, The Rite of Spring, Etudes
  • Tuesday 5th August 7.30pmSerenade, The Rite of Spring, Etudes
  • Wednesday 6th August 2.30pm Swan Lake
  • Wednesday 6th August 7.30pm Swan Lake
  • Thursday 7th August 7.30pm Swan Lake
  • Friday 8th August 7.30pm Swan Lake
  • Saturday 9th August 2.30pm Le Corsaire
  • Saturday 9th August 7.30pm Le Corsaire

  •   Printer-friendly page | Top

      Subject     Author     Message Date     ID
      RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003 Brendan McCarthymoderator 11-03-03 1
      RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003 MAB 11-03-03 2
      RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003 ChrisM 11-03-03 3
         RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003 Kevin Ngmoderator 11-03-03 4
         RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003 James 08-04-03 9
             RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003 alison 08-04-03 10
                 RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003 Diandri 08-04-03 11
      RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003 alison 12-03-03 5
         RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003 Kevin Ngmoderator 15-03-03 6
             RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003 Kevin Ngmoderator 24-03-03 7
                 RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003 Kevin Ngmoderator 26-03-03 8
                     RE: Etudes premiere Kevin Ngmoderator 12-04-03 12
                         RE: Etudes premiere alison 14-04-03 13
                             RE: Etudes premiere Kevin Ngmoderator 14-04-03 14
                                 RE: Etudes premiere Ted 15-04-03 15
                                 RE: kirov MICHAELT 24-04-03 16
                                 RE: kirov Steven 25-04-03 17
                                 RE: kirov Bluebird 25-04-03 18
                                 RE: kirov Naoko S 26-04-03 19

    Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
    Brendan McCarthymoderator

    11-03-03, 09:58 AM (GMT)
    Click to EMail Brendan%20McCarthy Click to send private message to Brendan%20McCarthy Click to add this user to your buddy list
    1. "RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003"

       LAST EDITED ON 11-03-03 AT 10:09 AM (GMT)

    That the Kirov should be bringing Millicent Hodson's and Kenneth Archer's reconstruction of Nijinsky's Sacre to London is thrilling news.

    We have a considerable amount of material online at Ballet.co about Millicent and Kenneth.
    Millicent Hodson interview
    Rite of Spring Study Day

    From the Telegraph in 2001, here is an article by Deborah Bull

    There is much too to be said about the version of Les Noces which the Kirov are bringing. Its origins are interesting, to say the very least, and deserve close scrutiny. More in a future edition of Ballet.co Magazine

      Printer-friendly page | Top
    MAB

    11-03-03, 10:11 AM (GMT)
    Click to EMail MAB Click to send private message to MAB Click to add this user to your buddy list
    2. "RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003"

       I wonder if Gergiev will conduct Rite of Spring? And I've always wanted to see what a Russian company would make of Les Noces. Even the prices aren't as steep as I'd feared, with a top price of 80 thats only 3 more than I paid to see Sleeping Beauty last night.

      Printer-friendly page | Top
    ChrisM

    11-03-03, 10:58 AM (GMT)
    Click to EMail ChrisM Click to send private message to ChrisM Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list
    3. "RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003"

       Do we know if friends will have access to advanced booking?

      Printer-friendly page | Top
    Kevin Ngmoderator

    11-03-03, 11:22 AM (GMT)
    Click to EMail Kevin%20Ng Click to send private message to Kevin%20Ng Click to add this user to your buddy list
    4. "RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003"

       Thanks Brendan. It's interesting news that the Kirov will premiere "Etudes", "Sacre", and "Les Noces" in St. Petersburg soon.

      Printer-friendly page | Top
    James

    08-04-03, 02:54 PM (GMT)
    Click to EMail James%20 Click to send private message to James%20 Click to add this user to your buddy list
    9. "RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003"

       I received my Friends advanced booking form today, closing date 18th April.

    The brochure does not give any casting details.

      Printer-friendly page | Top
    alison

    08-04-03, 05:39 PM (GMT)
    Click to EMail alison Click to send private message to alison Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list
    10. "RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003"

       I gather the prices are rather steeper (at least at the lower end) than we'd anticipated: side amphi 22-odd, decent standing 15. Hmm .... what do I *really* want to go and see?

      Printer-friendly page | Top
    Diandri

    08-04-03, 08:43 PM (GMT)
    Click to EMail Diandri Click to send private message to Diandri Click to add this user to your buddy list
    11. "RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003"

       >I gather the prices are rather
    >steeper (at least at the
    >lower end) than we'd anticipated:
    >side amphi 22-odd, decent standing
    >15. Hmm .... what
    >do I *really* want to
    >go and see?

    Compared to this seasons RB & next seasons projected prices I sadly thought the Kirov was quite 'reasonable'. I sent my booking form back this morning for 3 performances (2 mats & 1 midweek eve) which came to a grand total of 110(gulp!) That's 2 standing tickets & a stalls seat for the 4 hour Bayadere. To date it's the biggest sum of money I've spent on 1 go on ballet, apparently I looked a bit pale at work this morning.

    Was disappointed there was no casting on the leaflet, but then I've been caught out in the past booking for dancers advertised & then finding different ones on the day. This time round its pot luck & fingers crossed that their short visit will yield gold.

      Printer-friendly page | Top
    alison

    12-03-03, 05:51 PM (GMT)
    Click to EMail alison Click to send private message to alison Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list
    5. "RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003"

       Oh good, and booking doesn't start until after the Proms season has been announced (must get my priorities right)

      Printer-friendly page | Top
    Kevin Ngmoderator

    15-03-03, 04:27 AM (GMT)
    Click to EMail Kevin%20Ng Click to send private message to Kevin%20Ng Click to add this user to your buddy list
    6. "RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003"

       "Etudes", "Le Sacre" and "Les Noces" will actually be premiered at the Mariinsky Theatre in April.

    http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill?pbmy=200304

      Printer-friendly page | Top
    Kevin Ngmoderator

    24-03-03, 05:44 AM (GMT)
    Click to EMail Kevin%20Ng Click to send private message to Kevin%20Ng Click to add this user to your buddy list
    7. "RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003"

       Their April calendar of performances at the Mariinsky has changed slightly since last week. The premiere of "Etudes" seems to have been postponed, and will not be in April.

    http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill?pbmy=200304

      Printer-friendly page | Top
    Kevin Ngmoderator

    26-03-03, 04:44 AM (GMT)
    Click to EMail Kevin%20Ng Click to send private message to Kevin%20Ng Click to add this user to your buddy list
    8. "RE: The Kirov Ballet in London 21st July - 9th August 2003"

       As announced on the Kirov's site yesterday, their April schedule has changed yet again.

    http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/news

    Now only "Etudes" will be premiered in St. Petersburg in April, but not "Les Noces" and "Rite of Spring".

      Printer-friendly page | Top
    Kevin Ngmoderator

    12-04-03, 05:42 AM (GMT)
    Click to EMail Kevin%20Ng Click to send private message to Kevin%20Ng Click to add this user to your buddy list
    12. "RE: Etudes premiere"

       I heard that the first cast of "Etudes" for the premiere in St. Petersburg on 18 April will be led by Svetlana Zakharova.

      Printer-friendly page | Top
    alison

    14-04-03, 12:45 PM (GMT)
    Click to EMail alison Click to send private message to alison Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list
    13. "RE: Etudes premiere"

       Kevin, given that there are all these changes to the premieres of various parts of the triple bill, is there any indication that there might be changes to the bills shown at the ROH in the summer? I'd hate to book for something and then discover that the programme's been changed.

      Printer-friendly page | Top
    Kevin Ngmoderator

    14-04-03, 05:58 PM (GMT)
    Click to EMail Kevin%20Ng Click to send private message to Kevin%20Ng Click to add this user to your buddy list
    14. "RE: Etudes premiere"

       Alison, I understand your worry, because the Kirov has often made last-minute changes to their programmes and casting. But there is no reason why they need to change their schedule at Covent Garden. All the 3 new ballets will be danced first in St. Petersburg, though only once - "Etudes" on 18 April, "Les Noces" and "Rite of Spring" on 9 June during the White Nights Festival. (I refer to an earlier thread about the festival.)

    http://www.danze.co.uk/dcforum/news/1694.html

    Last year the new/old La Bayadere was only given one performance in St. Petersburg before their New York tour.

      Printer-friendly page | Top
    Ted

    15-04-03, 03:35 AM (GMT)
    Click to EMail Ted Click to send private message to Ted Click to add this user to your buddy list
    15. "RE: Etudes premiere"

       For your entertainment, may I refer you to the announcement at the beginning of each of the Trog's performances:
    "Good evening ladies and gentlemen, in accordance with the greatest tradition of the Russian ballet, there will be changes in the programme tonight...."
    Only one performance at St. Petersburg and the production goes straight on tour? How can the audience be watching anything but perhaps some good dress rehersals? No doubt there are exceptions. But for the prices charged and the reputation of the Kirov, how can we not expect nothing but the very best? I suppose the only sense the Kirov administration makes is purely a commercial one.

      Printer-friendly page | Top
    MICHAELT

    24-04-03, 09:06 PM (GMT)
    Click to EMail MICHAELT Click to send private message to MICHAELT Click to add this user to your buddy list
    16. "RE: kirov"

       Nobody seems to have noticed Lopatkina's absence from the roster. Apparently she has married and just had a baby. God willing we will see her again in London, as she is one of the very greatest ballerinas I have ever seen

      Printer-friendly page | Top
    Steven

    25-04-03, 09:25 AM (GMT)
    Click to EMail Steven Click to send private message to Steven Click to add this user to your buddy list
    17. "RE: kirov"

       I agree with that judgment wholeheartedly Michael - her performnces in Swan Lake and Balanchine's Diamonds in recent London seasons were quite overwhelming.

    I didn't know about the marriage and baby. A Kirov season won't seem complete without her.

      Printer-friendly page | Top
    Bluebird

    25-04-03, 10:40 AM (GMT)
    Click to EMail Bluebird Click to send private message to Bluebird Click to add this user to your buddy list
    18. "RE: kirov"

       I thought my memory wasn't playing tricks on me. I just checked the leaflet for the ROH Kirov season and Lopatkina's name is listed: "This year, the company will showcase some of the most dazzling dancers in the world today, highlighting,..." a list of dancers, including "Uliana Lopatkina". It could, of course, be a mistake, but her name is definitely there.

      Printer-friendly page | Top
    Naoko S

    26-04-03, 11:51 AM (GMT)
    Click to EMail Naoko%20S Click to send private message to Naoko%20S Click to add this user to your buddy list
    19. "RE: kirov"

       So glad to find many a like-minded people here who earnestly wait for Lopatkina's return! As her fan I've been disturbed by the way they've handled the info. - that her name has been included in the list though she's not yet returned to the stage after a long absence! But yesterday St. P times reported that she's to appear in the gala concert for White Nights festival on 31 May, as scheduled. See this (thanks Ann for the link!):

    http://www.sptimes.ru/archive/times/863/features/a_9296.htm

    Let's just hope this turns true and we'll be able to have her in London this summer!

      Printer-friendly page | Top

    Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

    Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Bruce Marriott