HomeMagazineListingsUpdateLinksContexts

 Ballet.co Postings Pages

 Some Special Threads:
  GPDTalk about George Piper Dances ! NEW !
  NBTTalk about Northern Ballet Theatre
  SBTalk about Scottish Ballet
  ENBTalk about English National Ballet
  BRBTalk about Birmingham Royal Ballet
  TodaysLinks - worldwide daily dance links
  Ballet.co GetTogethers - meetings and drinks...

  Help on New Postings

Subject: "More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements" Archived thread - Read only

Printer-friendly copy     Email this topic to a friend
Conferences News, Company and venue information Topic #1264
Reading Topic #1264
Bruceadmin

01-04-02, 08:11 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Bruce Click to send private message to Bruce Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list
"More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements"

It seems to have been a hell of a week with yet more announcements from the Opera House and Royal Ballet:
Opera House Seat-Back Screens coming - Alberto Vilar is spending £6M to equip the house apparently
Royal Ballet to form Senior's company - it seems to be a similar idea to NDT3. Perhaps an RB equivalent of NDT1 will come in time?

Rather big changes so do please record any comments or concerns you have on this thread.

For completeness here is a link to the earlier announcement:
Royal Ballet 2002/2003 Season

  Printer-friendly page | Top

  Subject     Author     Message Date     ID
  RE: More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements PhilipBadmin 01-04-02 1
  RE: More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements Carly Gillies 01-04-02 2
  RE: More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements Jane S 01-04-02 3
     RE: More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements Bruceadmin 01-04-02 4
         RE: More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements Helen 01-04-02 6
             RE: More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements Bruceadmin 01-04-02 8
  RE: More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements Viviane 01-04-02 5
     RE: More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements Ann Welsh 01-04-02 7
         RE: More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements AnnWilliams 01-04-02 9
         RE: More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements Lily 01-04-02 10
             RE: Today Brendan McCarthymoderator 01-04-02 11
                 RE: Today Pete 01-04-02 12
                     RE: Today AEHandley 01-04-02 13
                         RE: Today Flight 01-04-02 14
                             Thanks and... Bruceadmin 02-04-02 15
                             RE: Thanks and... katharine kanter 03-04-02 16
                             RE: Thanks and... Flight 03-04-02 17

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
PhilipBadmin

01-04-02, 10:33 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail PhilipB Click to send private message to PhilipB Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list
1. "RE: More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements"

   Very funny - but maybe you shouldn't give Stretton and Hall such ideas!

  Printer-friendly page | Top
Carly Gillies

01-04-02, 10:36 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Carly%20Gillies Click to send private message to Carly%20Gillies Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list
2. "RE: More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements"

   Well this has convinced me that back-seat screens really are a marvellous idea. I can hardly wait.
I do think, though, that the free glass of champagne should be awarded more imaginatively than proposed. - Perhaps for highest score in Grand Theft Auto 3 by the first interval? Super!

  Printer-friendly page | Top
Jane S

01-04-02, 10:36 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Jane%20S Click to send private message to Jane%20S Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list
3. "RE: More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements"

   Presumably there will be a fairly strict dress code for the new CoolROH? I can't imagine they'll want people in anoraks, whatever their age!

  Printer-friendly page | Top
Bruceadmin

01-04-02, 10:43 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Bruce Click to send private message to Bruce Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list
4. "RE: More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements"

   I assume the bouncers on the door will apply the Southgate test of no T-shirts and trainers....

  Printer-friendly page | Top
Helen

01-04-02, 10:55 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Helen Click to send private message to Helen Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list
6. "RE: More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements"

   I'm a bit worried about the fact that the Past Masters company is apparently going to restrict its British tours to the Home Counties. There are those of us in the North who like that sort of thing, you know. We're not really sophisticated enough for all that modern stuff.

  Printer-friendly page | Top
Bruceadmin

01-04-02, 11:11 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Bruce Click to send private message to Bruce Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list
8. "RE: More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements"

   >I'm a bit worried about the
>fact that the Past Masters
>company is apparently going to
>restrict its British tours to
>the Home Counties. There are
>those of us in the
>North who like that sort
>of thing, you know. We're
>not really sophisticated enough for
>all that modern stuff.

I could be wrong but suspect its a financial thing so that all the dancers can get home after a performace rather than hotels and all that expense...

  Printer-friendly page | Top
Viviane

01-04-02, 10:48 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Viviane Click to send private message to Viviane Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list
5. "RE: More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements"

   Bruce, I think you'll need to split-up your website too : create a section for the 'oldies' among us, with appropriate thought-pieces, basic-navigating, lots of repetitions...and free tickets for the Tea Dancing in the Floral hall
And please, ask Eugène to explain all about the new screens !

  Printer-friendly page | Top
Ann Welsh

01-04-02, 11:11 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Ann%20Welsh Click to send private message to Ann%20Welsh Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list
7. "RE: More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements"

   And will they have spaghetti growing on trees in the Piazza?

  Printer-friendly page | Top
AnnWilliams

01-04-02, 01:35 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail AnnWilliams Click to send private message to AnnWilliams Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list
9. "RE: More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements"

   That's a very impressive list of sponsors for the 'Seniors' but please, see John Field's piece on sponsorship in this month's magazine! Does the ROH really want to sell its artistic soul for the superficial glamour and dazzle lent by such names as Saga and All-Bran? Ballet is a serious art form and is worthy more serious sponsorship than this - did they not think of approaching Stanna Stairlifts?

  Printer-friendly page | Top
Lily

01-04-02, 01:50 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Lily Click to send private message to Lily Click to add this user to your buddy list
10. "RE: More Royal Ballet & Opera House Announcements"

   I don't quite understand this...does this mean that if we want to see modern dance, we can only go to the roh and if we want to see any of the classics, we have to go to a regional theatre? If this is the case, I just despair. What the hell happened to variety? Surely if they want to attract a younger audience, the younger dancers, sorry, the main company, should tour the country with a big emphasis on the university towns as young people are not going to make that much of an effort to go to London to see dance -modern or classical.

Past Masters sounds like past-it masters. How offensive. Is this past-it masters company a year round thing or is it for small tours?...

I also did not like the tone of the ROH spokesman..."we don't listen to you anyway" in regard to the public's opinions. What a complete jerk!

Does anyone agree with me...

Lily

  Printer-friendly page | Top
Brendan McCarthymoderator

01-04-02, 05:25 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Brendan%20McCarthy Click to send private message to Brendan%20McCarthy Click to add this user to your buddy list
11. "RE: Today"

   For another major dance story breaking today, see
http://www.danceinsider.com/f2002/f0401_3.html

  Printer-friendly page | Top
Pete

01-04-02, 08:11 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Pete Click to send private message to Pete Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list
12. "RE: Today"

   I was particularly concerned about the update from the ROH Press Office that they are contemplating buying some of the set top-boxes from ITV Digital and they hope to adapt the component parts for use in the 'Seat-Back Screens'.

As part of this deal there is apparently a contractual obligation to buy up all the remaining 'monkey' soft toys, which were given free to subscribers of ITV digital. Incredibly, these will be 'recycled' as ballet and opera stars and sold in the ROH Shop. There are plans to sell 'Darcey Monkey', 'Sylvie Monkey', 'Bryn Monkey' as well as various other characters based upon public demand....

If this what the ROH consider to be the way forward then I must be missing something!!

  Printer-friendly page | Top
AEHandley

01-04-02, 09:34 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail AEHandley Click to send private message to AEHandley Click to add this user to your buddy list
13. "RE: Today"

   Yes, I think you probably are missing something...

  Printer-friendly page | Top
Flight

01-04-02, 10:38 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Flight Click to send private message to Flight Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list
14. "RE: Today"

   Oh My God! I only just realised what day it was. I think I might be having a heart attack. Debbie MgGeee!!!!!!!

  Printer-friendly page | Top
Bruceadmin

02-04-02, 00:15 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Bruce Click to send private message to Bruce Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list
15. "Thanks and..."

Thanks for all your postings and messages.

I'm afraid for those who took it all seriously that these were April fools!

The seat-back one was by Lynette and is actually based on a true story and some form of seat back display for ROH has come up in several Opera House interviews. The rest may, or may not, be on their minds!

Be interesting to take bets on if RB will have a 'Past Master' company within the next 10 years!

And my biggest find in pulling all the links together.... The Ashley Page one - a pure gem if you missed it

  Printer-friendly page | Top
katharine kanter

03-04-02, 09:21 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail katharine%20kanter Click to send private message to katharine%20kanter Click to add this user to your buddy list
16. "RE: Thanks and..."

   As someone said earlier on this thread - don't give the ROH ideas !

Brilliant stuff. Fell hook line and sinker for Lynette's piece.

Unfortunately, it's all too credible.

  Printer-friendly page | Top
Flight

03-04-02, 09:43 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Flight Click to send private message to Flight Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list
17. "RE: Thanks and..."

   Oh, I know! I was all set to write a *very* strong letter to anyone who I could think of (the Prime Minister? the Queen?). I think Mr Marriot should have had more respect for those of us who wander round in a haze without having a clue what the date is (never mind whether it is morning or afternoon). That is probably just me, I suppose.

  Printer-friendly page | Top

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Bruce Marriott